Over the last few days there has been some confusion about Nelson Canada's Social Studies guidebook and its specific reference to Israel having child soldiers.
This matter was originally brought to our attention at Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Center (FSWC) in March 2017. After expressing our deepest concern, Nelson Canada emphatically apologized and has since provided us with the following update on the action they have undertaken:
- "We've worked closely with FSWC and the Ministry to ensure that we've addressed this issue with immediate and appropriate action.
- We've replaced stock of all student books and all digital instances with corrected versions.
- A letter was mailed out to all schools who have ordered this resource.
- Approximately 700 stickers have been mailed out to schools who have requested them.
- Our customer service department and sales team have the information needed to service any customers who ask for replacement stickers.
- Any incoming 'returned' stock is being destroyed and replaced with new copies."
Additionally, the book has been reprinted (click here to view) and a letter to all the schools was sent directly from Nelson. At the time, FSWC took the additional steps to meet with the Director of the Toronto Board of Education and senior staff in addition to informing the Ministry of Education. Additionally, FSWC has asked the publisher to review the source material and the advisors to the original document.
In sum, Nelson has taken responsibility and a proactive and corrective approach. Its staff has been continuously sincere and responsive. Let us take this opportunity to build bridges and cooperative relationships that strengthen and project the very values we espouse.